domingo, 18 de diciembre de 2011

Profe in the DR 30

Profe in the DR 30
11-28-11
            I got a hold of several young children’s books in Spanish in the capital, like Curious George and such.  Since I got back to my site Friday night, tons of kids have been coming over to read them (or just look at the pictures), including lots of teenagers and a few young men.  I haven’t had much success however trying to get anyone to read chapter books yet.
            The doctor wants me to keep wearing the back brace for two more weeks.  I still have a little numbness in my left foot, but it is better than before. 
            While in the capital I picked up 30 soccer balls from World Vision that their country director promised me.  They are for our soccer league, five for each community.
I also spoke to a young Haitian man on Sunday about him coaching the team.  He showed up at practice today, and said he wants to coach starting Wednesday.  Hopefully things will work out.  For this program to keep going after I am gone, it’s important we find a good coach.

12-11-11
The soccer team won their game last Saturday against Batey 7, 1-0.  I had to ref the game since they couldn’t find anyone there to do it. 
            The soccer team continues to work for an hour on the soccer field every Sunday.  Mostly cutting back the thorn bush, and then burning it once it’s dry.  Its dirty, painful work, the thorns go through everything.  We often encounter wasps.  One twelve year old last week had a branch bounce back and smack him in the eye really hard.  It left a blue spot on his eye.  Hopefully it will go away soon.  However, all the hard work has been good for them.  They now have the biggest and I believe best soccer field among the bateys. 
            The Sala de tareas has been going very well.  We have been focusing on addition and using lots of games involving dice, flashcards, playing cards, and bingo cards with addition problems written on them, and a few games on the computer.  The children who have been coming regularly have really improved in a short period of time.  The challenge is getting them to come regularly.  The computers really help motivate them, but for some it is not enough. 
            The chess club has been growing with more and more young children and girls coming to play.  A 58 year old man who just moved to the batey has been joining us as well.  He used to play a lot 16 years ago.  Once he dusted off the cobwebs, he has been showing the teenagers a thing or two.  Adoni however has managed to hang with him, winning as many games as he loses.
            Art club has grown to the point I don’t have enough places for everyone who wants to participate, and have to turn them away.  I think I need to add another session to accommodate the demand.
            All my other classes and projects are going well.  Once the winter vacation starts here, many of my classes will come to a halt until January.  The kids asked for a break during the vacation.
            I spent two days at the beach in Los Patos.  I hardly ever take RR days, as I am always working; however, I think I need to work them into my schedule more.  It was nice to just relax and sit in the sun by the ocean.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario